Monday, December 18, 2006

“As I sit at my table, for days, months, years, slowly adding new words to the empty page, I feel as if I am creating a new world, as if I am bringing into being that other person inside me, in the same way someone might build a bridge or a dome, stone by stone. The stones we writers use are words. As we hold them in our hands, sensing the ways in which each of them is connected to the others, looking at them sometimes from afar, sometimes almost caressing them with our fingers and the tips of our pens, weighing them, moving them around, year in and year out, patiently and hopefully, we create new worlds.”

An excerpt from Orhan Pamuk Nobel Prize lecture
“My Fathers Suitcase”
(Winner of the 2006 Nobel Prize in Literature)

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2006/pamuk-lecture_en.html

© THE NOBEL FOUNDATION 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home